Sunday, 11 April 2010

Mint's toilet training - much better now!

Hi! It's Cinnamon.

Thank you so much for all your advice and encouragement to my humans about Mint's toilet training!

Well, today I am glad to be able to tell you that the training has progressed a lot since my last post. Mum increased the frequency of Mint's trips to his toilet area in the garden, following Honey's human's advice, and also started having him stay in his crate with the door closed for an hour or so, following Lexi's human's hint to use a crate (Thanks both!). In the result, he didn't use his toilet training pad at all today! He didn't wet the floor at all either!! However, his daytime toilet frequency is still very high when he is outside the crate. So, my humans are going to ask the vet about it (some friends are concerned about a possibility of bladder infection) when Mint has his final vaccination in a week, if the frequency doesn't decrease by then.

I am teaching Mint how to handshake :-)

7 comments:

  1. Glad that he's getting better! Pepper's had a few problems with urinary tract infections (secondary to a minor incontinance problem) Infections are more common in female but it's a good idea to rule it out. It will help your vet out greatly if you can take a sample in with you when you go - saves time and hassle for everyone! Also, I'm sure they'll do it anyway but get your vet to take a simple blood sugar level (just a wee prick of blood) to check for signs of diabetes - another reason why a pup would be drinking lots & peeing frequently.
    Em & Pepper
    PS - love the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, such a cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God - that is the most gorgeous picture!! :-)

    So glad to hear that Mint is progressing with his toilet training! It does seem strange that he can hold it in his crate -but not when he is outside! Anyway, I think a check with the vet is a good idea. By the way, do you have pet insurance? I think that's a REALLY good idea - especially if you have 2 dogs. And you know how the 1st year of a puppy's life, you always seem to be at the vet's! I think we paid for a new car for our vet in Honey's first year - ha! ha! No, but seriously - we found our pet insurance to be very good value. The premiums for Honey were about $40 per month (that's v expensive coz she is a giant breed - it would be a lot less for a Beagle) and also we chose the top plan which covered everything - but you can choose lesser plans which only cover serious things, if you want...but we found that if we just went to the vet once a month, the cost of the consult was already about $50 which meant that we already reovered our premium. And that first year with Honey, we really were practically going to the vet every month! :-) But even when she got older, if she needed a course of antibiotics or anything - because they measured it based on weight - it was always pretty expensive and we were always grateful for the pet insurance. It just removed the stress of having to worry about whether you can afford a treatment!

    We were with Ellencoe but I know there are a couple of other companies if you're interested - so have a look around. The reason we chose Ellencoe was because at that time, they were the only company that covered a dog for life - the other 2 companies stopped the insurance after the dog passed a certain age which was considered "old" (5yrs old in giant breeds!)- which I thought was so stupid since it's usually when they get old that they start to develop problems and need the insurance!!

    Anyway, good luck!
    Hsin-Yi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon, great job teaching Mint to shake. It's a classic picture! Glad to hear the toilet training is working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the house training is coming along. Seems like he's doing well with his tricks, too. That's a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cinnamon,

    Just wanted to let you know that I have tagged you to play a game in my latest post - come over and check it out!

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture is absolutely adorable!!

    Jackal peed a lot as a puppy too. Sometimes he would even pee while sitting down! I don't think I ever figured out what it was, but it stopped after I dewormed him (he got tapeworms because he got into a bunch of fleas somehow). I don't know if it was worms or a coincidence, but it would be worth a try since deworming won't hurt them.

    ReplyDelete