My little brother Mint went to his puppy school for the first time on Tuesday. Because I couldn't go with him, here I am going to tell what I heard from my humans.
His puppy school is taught by a great dog trainer, Flip at Flip's Top Dog. In Mint's class there were seven puppies including Mint. What impressed my humans most is most of the attendees had brought a clicker and treats to the first class and most puppies had already learned to sit and down very well. Remember that this is a puppy school, not an ordinary obedience class!
My humans say they were glad that they had taught Mint some tricks before attending the puppy school so that Mint could do what other puppies did.
They did attention exercises as well by calling the puppy and doing a click-and-treat if he looked at his human and preferably followed his human with the leash slack. But, of course, Mint had to do his job as a Beagle, i.e. sniffing, during those exercises.
At the end of the class, they were given homework; 1) practising to sit and down more, 2) doing more attention exercises, and 3) reinforcing good behaviours using a clicker. This is a four-week course. So, I will keep you updated with how it is going for the next three weeks.
Looks like Mint is going to have a great time, learn lots and make some good puppy friends. He still looks so teeny :) I bet there are so many delicious smells in that shed - its used for horses too isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWe can't wait to meet you guys when we move up either!
Emily and Pepper
that beagle nose is on the job (:
ReplyDeleteHow exciting. A foundation like this at a young age will take Mint very far. Do you have any specific plans for him yet? I hope he will be doing agility when he's older!
ReplyDeleteWow - Mint sure looks cute. I'm sure he did a great job in class. Looking forward to the updates.
ReplyDeleteOooo sounds like mints puppy class is very good :)
ReplyDeleteLexi: I went to one when I was little (Laura wanted to go to have a nosey, hehe). It was quite easy for me...top of the class hehe!!!
Jasper: I haven't been to one, Laura wants to take me to one of Flip's (I think she wants to have a nosey as well and pick his brain about the service dog stuff he did :p)
Anyway we are both looking forward to hearing more about Mints puppy class!
Licks and lots of Slobber,
Lexi and Jasper the Danes
Best looking pup at the class - I could be bias of course lol x Keep up the good work MInt x
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad to hear he did well. Of course, we beagles are always distracted by smells--hard to train us to ignore that! I know he was the cutest puppy there.
ReplyDeletelove & wags,
River
Puppy school! Bah! Just an excuse for the humans to all ooo and ahh over puppy cuteness. Yuh, and they get rewards for doing such dumb things like a sit and stuff. Meanwhile YOU are doing your dancing with the stars routine (which was totally awesome). I think Mint is an OK little guy, but he will be more fun when he grows up.
ReplyDeleteSlobbers,
Mango
The Beagle nose never takes a break!
ReplyDeleteOooh - Cinnamon - I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit in a while and I have missed so much!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that Mint's first class at puppy school was so fun and successful. Of course, we agree that Flip's a great trainer! :-) My human believes that puppies are like blank sheets of paper and so the early foundation training is so important and can help to avoid so many problems later!
Can't wait to hear more!
Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
How exciting!! I can't wait to hear how the rest of your classes went. I'll catch up someday lol.
ReplyDelete