I hope everyone had a great weekend. Our weekend was busy but exciting. We went to another couple of trials.On Saturday we went to Cambridge Dog Obedience Club's Agility Ribbon Trial in Cambridge, about 140km south of Auckland. We entered three classes, Starters, Jumpers C, and Elementary B.
In the Starters class a challenge for us was again the Weave. Just before entering the Weave, Cinnamon started sniffing the ground. Although I somehow managed to bring her back on track, it took too much time. Just when Cinnamon was doing the second jump from the last, the judge called "Over time," resulting in a disqualification.
In the Jumpers C, I was worried about the Long Jump, as Cinnamon hadn't done it for a long time and, when she did it previously, she often passed by it. We made a good start without being held for a long wait like the previous week, and Cinnamon did the Long Jump beautifully. But, apparently she felt my relief and lost concentration. Just before the next jump after the long jump, Cinnamon started putting her nose to the ground again. I managed to bring her back on track, and Cinnamon did the subsequent obstacles perfectly up to the second jump from the last. I was almost feeling like 'Wow, we have completed the whole track without getting disqualified!" But, again Cinnamon sensed my relief, lost concentration, and passed the last jump. With my eyes following Cinnamon's unpredicted move, I ran into the last jump and fell over along with the jump obstacle!! So, we again got disqualified...
In the Elementary B class, Cinnamon ran well following my directions until she stopped at the Tunnel. Watching her move, I changed my course and ran on the outer side of the curved tunnel instead of the inner side. Then she somehow entered the tunnel and continued to run to the end. At first I thought that we might have got a fault by stopping at the tunnel, but I learned later that the judge didn't count it as a fault and we got our first Clear Round!! What pleased me even more was that we got the 6th place in the class!!!
It was a very long day for us, as our first competition of the day, the Starters class, started at 9am and it was after 5.30pm when we left the trial venue. We had to wait for hours between each class we entered, as there were so many dogs, and the Starters was the first program in the day and the Elementary B was the last one.
On Sunday we went to Waikato Agility Group's Agility Ribbon Trial in Hamilton, about 130km south of Auckland. We entered the Starters class only, because we didn't want to wait for a long time doing nothing.
In the Starters course, the Weave was the second obstacle. Cinnamon managed the obstacle much better than the previous times, without putting her nose to the ground. She nearly missed a pole but managed to recover. Although there was one fault by refusing the entry to the closed tunnel, we somehow completed the whole course without getting disqualified!!
After our run, our instructor pointed out that Cinnamon had refused the tunnel because she remembered she hadn't liked it when she went through it the first time (In this course, dogs had to go through the same tunnel twice). It was true. I should have noticed that, when I saw her stopping in the tunnel the first time, and I should have been more encouraging. Mmm, there are so many things that I have to learn...
I'm amazed by Cinnamon's work! I always wanted to enter in agility competitions with Rufus. We started the training but Rufus' hip dysplasia doesn't let him do the jumps!:(
ReplyDeleteKisses
Rufus and Indie
Congratulations! So the tunnel is Cinnamon's nemesis? Dennis's nemesis is the teeter.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!
ReplyDeleteWow - you're really getting serious about this Agility thing, aren't you, Cinnamon?! Gosh, I don't think I could be bothered to drive that far 2 days in a row...! :-)
But you're doing great! I loved the videos - it looked like you were having lots of fun, even if you missed a few things...hey, if this is only your 2nd time at doing trials, I think you're doing amazingly!
Was your human OK after falling over the last obstacle? I hope she wasn't hurt.
At least it looks like you had beautiful weather - it was freezing, wasn't it, this weekend - but so nice & sunny! My humans took me to the Viaduct Harbour on Sunday (I didn't have space to include that in my last post - will have to put it in my next one!) - and it was really beautiful.
Yes, I'd love to meet up with you again and play sometime! My human was going to suggest it but as your human said that she was very very busy, we didn't want to disturb you! (and we didn't even know you were going away to do agility trials this weekend!)
Hope to see you soon -
Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
I love the way Cinnamon talks while she is running the course. You two are doing a great job. Just being able to run the course and stay on track is HUGE!
ReplyDeleteBig improvement on the weave poles too. Seems like that's where there is good stuff on the ground sometimes.
The important thing is that you are doing it because each time you will learn something. You've inspired me to take Dex to a private agility class. I think we need it to improve much at this point.
Can't wait to see the next run.
Mango Momma
Congrats on the clear run!! I never realized how difficult Agility is. The pros make it look so easy. I think my lack of coordination would cause problems if I ever decided to try it. You did great!
ReplyDeleteWow, great videos. I watch videos like a madman and attend as many trials as I can to get a feel for Agility. My dog and I are only in beginner classes, but she really loves it (well, except the teeter) and hopefully we'll compete one day. Good work!
ReplyDeleteRun Cinnamon, RUN!
ReplyDeleteHello there cookie and cinnamon.
ReplyDeleteNot only are you adorably cute you're also fantastically clever! Boy can you fly!
licks and wags
TUffy and the Dog WOods Pack
Cookie and Cinnamon's Mum - yes, we are training for Rally Obedience on the novice level. :) Marge seems to like Agility better, though (and so do I) so we are probably going to stop Rally after this session of classes ends and go full speed (no pun intended) into Agility until the cold weather sets in. We might have the opportunity to enter a Rally trial in August, but that depends on a few different things.
ReplyDeleteWell done! Practice makes perfect.
ReplyDeleteThere may be much to learn, but you are way ahead of where I would be with any of our dogs. Impressive despite the challenges...
ReplyDeleteWell done! Great to hear that our tips have helped you :)
ReplyDelete