Cookie and Cinnamon was given a great blog award called "Sugar’s Sweetest Blog Award" by a cool doggie blogger, Dennis the Vizsla. Thank you, Dennis!! If 'Sugar' doesn't go with 'Cookie' and 'Cinnamon', what else would!?

A great thing about this award is there is no rule!! So, I am going to take advantage of the privilege and pass the award to all our blog friends who haven't got the award yet and are leaving a comment on this post, as all our blog friends are sweet and deserve it!
However, last night I did something on the far end of the spectrum of 'Sweet.' As some of you already know, Cinnamon is very protective and doesn't let me cut her nails. Although I have been trying to get her used to a nail trimmer by rewarding her with food treats when she touches the trimmer, she still hates it and tries to bite me when I attempt to trim her nails. But, last night she looked so sleepy that I took a chance on trimming her nails. It was then that a bitter event happened! Perhaps you can tell what happened by now. Yes, I cut her nail too deep. It bled a lot! It was so upsetting that I felt like crying, though it must've been more terrifying for Cinnamon.
Cookie has broken his dewclaws, resulting in some bleeding, several times. But, because Cinnamon doesn't have dewclaws, she has never had that kind of problems. Instead, her nails tend to grow longer than Cookie's, so I always keep an eye on her nails.
This morning I took Cinnamon to a veterinary clinic, where a vet treated the damaged toenail with a tool, something like a soldering gun, and gave her an injection. It seems this kind of injury is not as serious as I thought. I thought that Cinnamon may not be allowed to walk outside for a couple of days, but the vet told me she may. Phew...
Cookie, three years old
Cinnamon's treated toenail
I am all right
Ha! ha! Cinnamon - welcome to the club!! My human has done that to me a couple of times, especially because my nails are very black and hard and so she can't see where the quick is at all...at least yours was horrified and upset...mine didn't even realise she'd cut my quick - she just started getting annoyed when I kept jerking my foot away and she kept grabbing it and saying "Ehhh! I'm not finished!" - then she wondered why her hands were covered in blood!! And she didn't even take me to the vet and give me a cool bandage like your human! She just put some pressure on it and cleaned up the blood and then said to me "You'll survive" - the nerve!!!
ReplyDeleteI also don't have any dew claws but once when I was running around playing in the garden, I tore one of my nails and then I ran into the house and there was blood everywhere on the living room carpet!! It was like an abattoir! My human nearly had a heart attack! She spent the rest of the evening shampooing the carpet...guess that was my revenge for her cutting my quick! Hee! hee!
Don't worry - these things looks terrible but they're actually quite superficial. The only bad thing is that the incident might remain in your memory and make you even MORE reluctant to have a nail trimming in future!! :-)
Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
yeeooouch.
ReplyDeletei sweat when it comes to trimming her nails.
hope she'll feel better soon.
*smooch*
Aww. Yeah it's a little unnerving the first time you cut into the quick. Some dogs yelp and others barely notice the pain. It goes away very quickly though so don't beat yourself up too much. Keep working with her though. It'll be a lot easier for you to keep them short if you can cut a little off each week instead of having a vet do it every once in a while. When the nail grows the quick grows too, so if you're able to trim off a little tiny bit each week the quick recedes and eventually you'll get them short where they need to be. Don't feel like you have to take off huge gigantic chunks each time you trim the nails. It just needs to be a little bit and then give it a week for the quick to recede. It just takes some practice. You'll be an old pro in no time.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the Sugar award. Cookie and Cinnamon are surely made of sugar and spice and all that's nice.
ReplyDeleteReading abt the nail incident brings back bad memories of when we too cut her nail too deeply. There were a lot of blood and I'm not sure who was more traumatized, me or Kess! Anyway, she refuses to let us cut her nails so the vet recommended that we walk her on the road to help trim her nails. Whilst her nails is not super short, it's still kept managable and it's been 6 years since we've last trimmed it.
Poor girl! We've had a few bleeding incidents here but nothing that bad. My wife always keeps a supply of styptic powder handy though just in case!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the very sweet award, the Suger Award! It sounds so suitable to your names!! (BIG licks..)
ReplyDeleteAnyway... Poor girl Cinnamon! We'll send you a lot of hugs!! We're not sure why but our nails are tend to be very short so we never got nails trimmed. Is that because we always have a walky on the pavement????
Momo & Pinot
That stinks. I have cut Patrick's nail too short once. It is really upsetting. Jack's nails are black, so I probably leave them a bit too long but I don't want to have a bad experience for him. He is already so emotionally fragile we don't need to add to the pile!
ReplyDelete