In the weekend, Cookie and Cinnamon ate real bones two days in a row, plus Cinnamon ate another little bone, which she happened to find on a footpath and picked up before I had a chance to stop it!
I was reluctant to give them real bones after one of Cookie's teeth broke for unknown reason. When it happened, he had to have the root canal of the broken tooth removed and filled with dental cement by an animal dentistry specialist, which cost a fortune!! So, since then, I had usually given them dried venison or sheep ears instead as well as brushing their teeth using doggy toothpaste.
But, after reading a recent post by Honey the Great Dane about the importance of cleaning teeth with bones for dogs, especially those who eat soft raw food only like Cookie, I decided to start giving them real bones regularly again.
Of course, both Cookie and Cinnamon were very excited to be given such special treats!! While Cookie ate his bone at the place where I had given it to him, Cinnamon quickly hid behind a bush with her bone and ate it there!
Ooh, how exciting!! I'm glad you enjoyed your bone treats, Cookie and Cinnamon - and I hope you don't hurt your teeth again! Hopefully, if you stick to "soft bones" like brisket then it won't happen again...paws crossed!!
ReplyDeleteSlobbers,
Honey the Great Dane