Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Gadget review - Easy Walk Harness

Background

I've been trying to avoid using collars to control my Beagles as much as possible, since I knew that Beagles are prone to slipped disks in the neck. So, when I started training Cinnamon, I looked for something I could use in place of a check chain. Check chains are meant to give the dog a short, sharp snap rather than a strong squeeze, as Honey the Great Dane reminded me in her comment (Thanks, Honey!). But, from my experience, it seems inevitable to put pressure on the dog's neck from time to time, especially in case of Beagles who shut all other senses once their nose is set on something.

Although I often saw people using Halti collars, I thought they didn't look nice and they couldn't avoid putting pressure on the dog's neck either. Then, when I was searching for alternatives on the Internet, I found the Easy Walk Harness. The idea is same as that of a Halti collar.

Pros

  • Very easy to handle
  • Easy to put on
  • It stops the dog from pulling the lead effectively
  • You can avoid putting pressure on the dog's neck

    Cons

  • It slips off easily when the dog wiggles
  • Some trial and error might be necessary to adjust the size
  • It can't stop other unwanted behaviours than pulling

    Verdict


    (As a training tool to stop pulling)

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    At Cinnamon's agility class last night

    4 comments:

    1. Hi Cookie and Cinnamon,

      That new harness of yours looks very smart! I have heard that harnesses are often better for small dogs...and we agree - Hsin-Yi says that the problem with check chains is that they can often be used the wrong way - and so hurt the dog - so maybe it is better if people don't use them anyway!

      About the bones - just avoid the big, hard (beef) cannon/marrow bones which can be very hard and can crack teeth - because you are smaller dogs, you can chew smaller bones. But make sure the pieces are bigger than your mouth so you cannot swallow them whole by mistake!

      Brisket bones are softer and safer to chew on - you can get lamb brisket bones from Animalia in Newmarket ($2.50 for 1 piece, in a plastic bag - 500g) - or you can just ask your butcher for beef brisket bones. My butcher keeps a whole bucket of these unwanted bones just for dog owners - and they are very cheap - $2 for a whole bag! My humans buy a bunch and keep them in the freezer and give me one every so often.

      You can also try oxtail bones (you often find these in the supermarket) - as long as you choose the bigger pieces - these are nice to chew on for smaller dogs!

      Have fun chewing!

      Slobbers,
      Honey the Great Dane

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi guys,
      Mum tried collars with us in the beginning but both of us mananged to slip the collars as mum didn7t want to make them too tight. We have had about four different harnesses and mum thinks they are much better. She bought us a new one each about two weeks ago with very wide padded straps which is very comfortable for us. Mum wants to know what treats you are using at agility?
      Lix
      J&D

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm on harness too based on the vet's recommendation. My humans think that they have better control esp when I'm off on sniffing mode (which happens 90% of the walk time)!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for that review....very interesting! Cool video too :D
      Slobbers xx

      ReplyDelete