Saturday, 25 April 2009

Clicker training - nose touch

A clicker, a target stick, and a guidebook of clicker training I ordered have finally arrived and we have started clicker training!

The guidebook I bought is written in Japanese, which means I had to have it sent from Japan to New Zealand by international mail. Do you wonder why I don't use books available here in New Zealand? That is because most guidebooks written in English don't have many pictures like Japanese guidebooks do. Before ordering the Japanese guidebook, I went to the library and looked at several books about dog training, but they all were full of text, including the one I borrowed ("The Only Dog Tricks Book You'll Ever Need"). It was a very good book and I enjoyed reading it. But, I wished there had been much more pictures!

Among other things, what I was surprised at about the Japanese guidebook is that it demonstrates how to cut commercial dog treats into smaller pieces, showing different pictures for different sizes of dogs! For example, it recommends to cut an original piece of a particular product into two for large dogs and six for small dogs. So precise!!

Well, going back the training, the first step in clicker training is the nose touch, according to the guidebook. Its purpose is to make your dog learn that he can get some treat right after a click. The process is: 1) Place your hand at a short distance from your dog, 2) Click, if the dog comes and touches your hand with its nose, and 3) Give a small piece of treat. When you give your dog a piece of treat after a click, you can throw it instead of letting the dog get it directly from your hand. Although you may wonder that it might teach your dog that he can pick up food on the street, it won't be a problem as long as the dog is picking up food thrown right after a click, because he will learn that he is allowed to pick up food when he hears a click. Also, your dog can't get treat if he bites or mouthes your hand.

Both Cookie and Cinnamon did the first step very well. So, we are going on to the next step this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At Waiatarua Reserve on Thursday



4 comments:

  1. Oh, that last photo is just precious, hehe!
    Happy Anzac Day buddies, and have a great weekend!
    Slobbers xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You're doing Clicker Training - wonderful!!

    I am currently learning a couple of new tricks using clicker training: 1) to cross my paws, 2) to pivot around the same spot, 3) to circle around a walking stick (this will be used in our new dance routine!) and 4) to pick up a bag by the handles and hold it in my mouth! It takes a LONG time for things to sink into my big brain so Hsin-Yi has to be very patient! :-) But hopefully, with lots of practise, I will get there in the end. The crossing paws is the hardest trick!

    Hsin-Yi also clicks and treats me whenever I am near a strange dog and I am relaxed (ears back, relaxed body language, sometimes slow wag of tail...) - because after my bad experiences, she is always trying to build good associations with strange dogs and to always reward me for being calm and relaxed around them!

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! Don't you just love clicker training? Once the dog figures out how to make you click it gets so exciting. I'm glad your trying it out.

    Honey, crossing the paws is definitely the hardest! Jackal still hasn't figured it out. I think I'm going to use kikopups method with the target object.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cookie and Cinnamon - you MUST go and watch this hilarious video on one of my friend's blogs - it's Happy the Silky Terrier and in her latest post, she has a video of a dog which looks a bit like a Beagle (although maybe not a full Beagle? What do you think?) - and this dog has the most hilarious trick called "play dead" - go and watch it!!
    Here's the link:
    http://serendipitypark.blogspot.com/2009/04/friday-funnies.html

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete