Background
Cookie has always been unwilling to walk since he was a puppy. He often stops suddenly and pulls himself backwards, wanting to go home, during walks in the neighbourhood (He walks happily in a new environment, as he loves to explore). I don't remember how many times his collar slipped off his head when he did that. He had a choke chain, which wouldn't have slipped off, but I didn't feel comfortable using it for daily walks when we were not in training mode.
I found half-choke collars when I was looking for alternatives, but I was still not satisfied. So, I kept looking for something else, and then, in a mail order catalogue of a pet shop, I found a collar that perfectly met my needs, which was the
Premier Collar.
I stopped using Premier Collars only because I started using harnesses after Cookie had an operation for a slipped disk in the neck.
ProsLooks more comfortable for dogs than ordinary collars
Doesn't slip off when the dog suddenly moves backwards
Comes in many different colours
Cons
As a training tool, not as effective as choke chains
Not as easy to put on/off as buckle collars
Not very fashionable
Verdict




That's really interesting, Cookie - my humans and I have never heard of a Premier Collar before!
ReplyDeleteI just have my check chain on as my collar (we don't like to call it a "choke chain" because if humans use it correctly, then it should not choke the dog but just "check" the dog in what he is doing, by giving a short, sharp snap as a correction) - it sits at the base of my neck, like a necklace! :-) I used to have a nylon collar but Hsin-Yi didn't like it because it broke the line of my neck and she thinks I look more elegant if there is nothing around my neck! :-)
Hey - Hsin-Yi was so excited to hear about those clicker gadgets your human's ordered. She's always wanted one of those target sticks with a clicker - can we ask where you got yours?
And she says please don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like her to show you the clicker training - she would be very happy to.
Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
Oh, it's been ages since we visited....oops! Anyway, thanks for the useful review....we wear normal collars but Mum is thinking of something else since we are spending more time on our leads at the moment (kinder for her arms!) We might look into these if we can get them over here :D
ReplyDeleteLOVED your photoshoot too, very cute pics!
Slobbers xx