Saturday, 3 October 2009

Doggy friendly apartment!

I visited a doggy friendly apartment building during my recent four-day visit to Japan! This type of apartments are very rare, especially outside metropolitan cities. This particular one is the first such apartments in my hometown, a provincial city with a population of about 280,000.




These are some highlights of the apartments.


  • In this room near the entrance of the building, you can wash your dog's paws and legs after a walk. In addition to an ordinary tap with a shower head, there are two nozzles near the bottom of the sink, and the water temperature is adjustable. There is also a special bin for doggy poo, which looks and works like a toilet without a seat.



  • There is a dog run with a little set of agility equipment.



  • In the common lounge, where seminars about dogs are held occasionally, resident dogs' handpainted portraits are hung on a wall.



  • By the entrance of each unit, there is a hook specially designed for dog leads. It is easy to hook a lead on it, but the lead doesn't slip off once it is on the hook.



  • The floor is nonslip. The lower part of walls of the units is scratch proof and the upper part eliminates the odor with photocatalysis, and the walls themselves are soundproof.

  • The vanity sink in the bathroom is large enough to shampoo a small or medium dog in it.

  • All power points are located at a height out of reach of small and medium dogs for safety.


Also, I met these cute doggies during my stay in Japan. :-) Purin and Coo live in the doggy friendly apartment I visited, and Cocoa is my mother's dog.

Purin the Chihuahua


Kurotaro (aka Coo) the Chihuahua


Cocoa the Toy Poodle




Finally I will show you a video of Cinnamon doing her latest trick. While she is doing her trick, Cookie is trying to get some share of the reward.

* I have reposted a new version of the video in higher quality in the next post. Click here to see the original video.

7 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic trick the way Cookie didn't bounce all over her while she was doing her physical therapy.

    Oh, what's that momma? Cinnamon was the one doing a trick? Huh?

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cinnamon is soooo smart! That is awesome. I wanna teach it to Jackal, but he's sooo uncoordinated. :)

    The apartments are so cool! I don't think we have anything that special in the states. Wow, a population of 280,000 people?? My hometown barely reached 2,000 people. And the town is live in now is less than 30,000. :)

    Keep up the great work Cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very cool -- I've never seen such a dog-friendly apartment building before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is a REALLY cool (*and thoughtful!) apartment! It is such a shame that there are not more apartments like that in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that apartment is amazing! Imagine an entire place designed for dogs?

    ReplyDelete