Sunday, 15 April 2012

Pets Picnic in The Park 2012

Hi! It's Cinnamon.

A week after SPCA Devonport Dog Parade I told you about in my last post, Mint and I did another dog dancing demonstration at Humane Society Pets Picnic in The Park in One Tree Hill Domain.


Actually I did demos in the same event last year and the year before, and the one I did two years ago was my first ever dog dancing demonstration in public!

This time I invited our friends Kurosawa the Retradoodle and Marvi and Milia the Chipoos over to see our dancing for the first time.



Well, this demonstration turned out to be in one of the hardest conditions I had ever experienced. For one, there were a couple of families having a picnic lunch just by the ring. (You know it's so hard for Beagles to ignore food especialy when they are off leash!!) Also, as soon as Mum put my stool in the centre of the ring as a preparation, many kids started coming into the ring to play with the stool. To our relief there were no kids in the ring, when Mum and I were called into the ring for my dance performance, but just when we stood at the starting position near my stool, a toddler wandered into the ring and SAT on my stool with some food in his hand!! He stayed sitting there for a while, so we had to wait until his mum came and took him out of the ring!

After the little human was taken out of the ring, my music finally started. But, my stool smelled so nice that I couldn't concentrate on my performance. I just couldn't help checking the smell of my stool several times during my routine...


Again Mint did a little better than I did. But, again he was so eager to jump that he was jumping when he was not supposed to! Why can't he stay on the ground!?


In our dance demonstration our colleague Fletcher the Border Collie also performed. Because there were only three of us in our team this time, Fletcher did two routines, of which I especially loved his limbo dance routine. It was so unique and cool!


Well, Mum didn't really want to show you videos of our performance this time, because we both made many mistakes in our routines. But, who cares!! I don't mind showing a video of me making mistakes :-)



After our dance demonstration, many competitions took place. Mum didn't plan to enter us to any of these competitions, but, encouraged by Fletcher's human, she entered both of us to the Best Quick Trick Contest, and I won with my handstanding trick and Mint got placed the second with his jumping rope trick!!

Sorry we don't have any videos of us doing our tricks in the competition. But, here you can see how happy we were, having got prizes! (Our prizes were in the red bag Mum is carrying in the photo.)


After the Best Quick Trick Contest, there was the Potato Race, where humans run holding their dog's lead and a spoon with a potato on it with ONE hand, and our friend Kurosawa and his mum won it!! Well done, the Team Kurosawa!!

15 comments:

  1. What a great day! I wouldn't be able to ignore that food at the nearby picnic either! Congrats on your quick trick wins as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had a wonderful time! I still don't know how I could ignore the smell of the picnic lunch. Perhaps those kids who left smell of food on my stool somehow helped me?

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you showed us your dance movies! You know why? Because I know how hard dog dancing is and you were both super. Some really hard moves like backing up through mom's legs and turning on the stool. Amazing!

    There is a little beagle dog in my class at school but she is afraid of me. Boo hoo. She reminds me of Cinammon and I sing to her.

    Keep on dancing!

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mango! Of course we will keep on dancing :-) Oh, I wish I could go to your class with you and tell your little classmate that Mango is the bestest gentleman!

      Delete
  3. Your human has taught you guys some amazing stuff and your dance routines are so interesting to watch, she is very creative!! :)

    Looks like everyone had a good day all round :)

    Licks and lots of slobber,
    Lexi and Jasper the Danes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great day overall! Congrats on winning best quick trick!
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching your videos. I didn't see any mistakes! You can't blame kids for wanting to play with your stool. It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done well done!!! wow so proud of you both! your mommy has done a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cinnamon - I am FINALLY catching up with all my blog friends and I finally got a chance to watch your videos! :-) I just loved both your routines - especially Mint's because I havent' really had a chance to watch your human dancing with him properly, in a big display. He did so well! And yes, I agree - your human is so creative and has so many interesting moves - not like some routines which just repeat the same things over and over again! :-) I also really like the move you did where you are walking around your stool and your human walks the other way - that's a new addition, isn't it? I don't remember that being in your California Girls routine originally...By the way, I love your matching costumes with your human - and oh, and my human says she likes your human's saucy hotpants costume!! :-) She says it is such a change from your human's first costume a long time ago when you started dancing - it was so conservative - now she's really getting confident and sassy! Hee! hee!

    Slobebrs,
    Honey the Great Dane
    ps. we can really sympathise about how difficult it can be to perform at those venues. In some ways, they can be harder than competitions - because there are so many distractions that you just can't control and at the end of the day, "the show must go on" - and it's a real skill for the humans to learn to just swallow it and keep their heads up, keep smiling and keep trying to continue the routine, no matter what is happening. It is a very tough experience, Hsin-Yi, thinks but a good one to learn for life. She says that she has learnt to be more confident and deal with "crisis" better since performing with me publicly because she has had to learn to just deal with "disasters" and keep on going! :-) We have had a couple of performances that got a bit messed up too - and I had a TERRIBLE one (when we performed at that dancing show for charity, indoors with the slippery floors) where I completely refused to dance at all!! :-) Hsin-Yi was never so embarrassed in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Ha! I just realised that my ps is longer than my message! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wau! How did you manage to stay in ring when there is a PICNIC next to it? Mom loved both of those videos. Wonderful movements and tricks. Can't say anything about mistakes because don't know the rules.

    Mom also remembers agility tracks where Lenni sniffed whole track. Vekku did try to steel a cake peace middle of the track. But mom says that it is much more funnier when you don't never know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete