At that time we were told that Cookie didn't have much time left, but he bravely fought a good fight against the illnesses for the next two months, being on medication with Tramal (pain reliever) and Prednison (synthetic corticosteroid). He lost his appetite a little a couple of times in October, but, otherwise, he was eating very well and could walk around in the house and garden on his own with a wobbly gait.
However, last night he deteriorated dramatically. He bawled every time I touched him to adjust his pillow. He clenched his jaw and didn't open his month at all when I tried to help him drink or eat.
We were worried about him so much that all of us, including Cinnamon, slept in the living room together as we didn't want to put him in further pain by moving him. Cookie kept shivering from pain throughout the night, and in the morning he still couldn't move at all. So, we made the most difficult decision to let him go. We thought he had suffered enough and he should be let free from his pain.
His last moment was serene. He went in my arms. Cookie, we will never forget about you. You will live forever in our heart.
Oh no! We did not know how sick little Cookie was. Our thoughts are with you. Holding him in your arms during his final moments is a good thing. He knew you were there and he is out of pain now. What a brave little chap.
ReplyDeleteMango Momma
Mom & the Beaglebratz are so very sorry to hear this. Cookie looks like he was such a sweet boy. I know how difficult that decision was - I have been there a few times. I truly believe that Cookie is now pain free and running happily in the green fields beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea Cookie was so sick - I am SO sorry to hear about your loss. You obviously made the right (and hard) decision. I'm sure he thanks you for it..
ReplyDeleteWe are always here for you and Cinnamon, even though we're on the other side of the world! Always remember that.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss - I didn't know Cookie was sick. It must have been a very hard decision (but the right one), he is not in pain anymore.
ReplyDeleteHe was a lovely boy.
Our thoughts are with you all, and are here for you if you need it.
Marge and Sam sent us -
ReplyDeleteWe are furry sorry fur your loss -
I know Cookie was greeted by my Sibe furiend Tori - she khrossed on Friday
Mom says letting us go is the hardest thing a hooman has to do but it shows how special we are to them - our pain is gone and we are running with the wind again -
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra, Khousin Merdie, and My Mom
I'm so sorry for your loss... Hadn't come across your blog until today after seeing mention on Marge's blog. So sad, cancer is just so terrible, and to take one so young as Cookie... Truly awful. Cookie was clearly very well loved and you gave him the wonderful gift of dignity and peace.
ReplyDeletesad woofs, sooo sorry for ur loss...its sooo hard to let them goo.your in our thoughts and prayers...RIP Cookie, run with the wind..
ReplyDeletea sad,
rocky
bear
angel lacylulu
and mama..
Hugs to you...big hugs. My girl passed last Friday after 14 yrs with me... it's still unreal. I am very sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteJuno's Mom
So many good pups crossing the bridge lately. Cookie has some fine company as he waits for you to meet again... across the Rainbow Bridge.
ReplyDeleteOur condolences
Meeshka and the gimpy gang
I am so sorry to hear about Cookie.
ReplyDeleteYou are in our thughts and prayers.
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
We found your link via Marge and Sam's blog.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry for your loss; I've been the mom to many pets and no matter how many times you go through this it does not get easier.
Know that you loved him, gave him a wonderful home and made his stay on this earth so much better.
Letting him go was your ultimate expression of your love for him. I hope that all my guys are there waiting for him at the other side.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Claudia
PS I lost Tate this year; Nellie, his sister/litter mate was not the same for a while; please keep an eye on Cinnamon. I had to get another dog within a two month period because of Nellie and thank god we did; he pulled her back from her slump.
...tears...
ReplyDeleteOh my our hearts are just breaking. It is so hard to see our pups pain and then have to let them go. Run free sweet baby. There is no pain where you are now.
Lots of Luv & Kisses
Addie, Lucie and Hailey
I found about about your loss from Mango. While I didn't know Cookie, I am very sorry for your loss. We are thinking good thoughts for you and your family during this sad time. Run free sweet Cookie.
ReplyDeleteKasha the Great Dane & her human Denise
We are so very sorry to hear about your loss. Cookie is running like a pup now, free from pain and is looking down on you smiling, so grateful for the wonderful home you gave her.
ReplyDeleteWe are sorry to hear of your loss. You are in our thoughts. Best wishes to your family during this difficult time.
ReplyDelete- Tucker & his Momma
We read about Cookie on Mango's blog too. We didn't know Cookie, but we know the pain of loss, so we came by to leave warm purrs and tail wags.
ReplyDeleteWe had enjoyed reading about their adventures so much--this is really a shock. We are so sorry he had to leave you and we will miss hearing about him. We are thinking of you and sending hugs--we know the pain of losing a special boy.
ReplyDeletelove & wags,
River & mom
My jaw dropped when I saw this come through my feed, followed by my heart. So sorry to hear about sweet Cookie.
ReplyDeleteIm so sorry to hear about your loss. How heartbreaking of a loss. Your family is in our thoughts!
ReplyDeleteOh no...We always dread the day our dogs leave us. It's like a part of us is gone forever. It's obvious that Cookie loved well and was loved well.
ReplyDeleteWe are soooo, soooo sorry! We hadn't gotten to know Cookie, but we do know how hard it is to lose a furkid. All of our paws are crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteAire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches
We're so very sorry to hear about Cookie. What a handsome boy! We wish we would have gotten to know him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
ReplyDeleteLove ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch
Stopping by from Mango's blog. What a sweet looking boy. Thinking of you during this time. It's never easy to let a furever friend go but we have to think of them. They will remain forever in our hearts. Many hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteThis is not what I was expecting this morning when I opened your blog to see what Cookie and Cinnamon were up to. I didn't know he was that sick! I thought he was getting better. I'm so, so, so sorry for your loss. You all must be so devastated. We're all here for you if you need anything.
ReplyDeleteVisiting from Mango's blog. So very very sorry about Cookie, and especially during the holiday time. Actually there is no "good" time to have a beloved family member cross the Bridge. We send you love and peace. Cookie will wait for you at the Bridge. xoxo
ReplyDeletebye cookie
ReplyDeletewe will miss you
lots of hugs
El'bow and Hauwii
We are VERY sorry about your loss!
ReplyDeleteLicks and Slobbers
Oh no!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry :-(
farewell Cookie, you will be missed so much :-(
Cookie's Mumma, I know you gave Cookie a really wonderful and happy life, and that Cookie has left you with many happy memories. I know none of that will make you feel better right now.
thinking of you and sending you hugs,
Darcy's Mumma
Oh no! We are all so sorry to hear about Cookie's passing. We are praying for all of you during this sad time.
ReplyDeleteYou will be missed sweet Cookie!
The Buddy and Maxim clan
We are so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Cookie was a very brave little beagle and stayed with you as long as he could. The girls send a big hug to you and Cinnamon too.
ReplyDeleteSending all of you HUGS. Cookie had a good and wonderful life. We will miss her and remember her forever.
ReplyDeleteTeary-eyed mom and Sapphire.
I just read this today. I am SO sorry about Cookie. I cried when I read your post. My thoughts are with you and sweet Cinnamon.
ReplyDeleteJust updating what is going on everywhere. We are sorry for your loss. Paws leave the biggest holes in our hearts. Big hugs all to you.
ReplyDeleteOh no........we are playing major catch-up here and this is the last thing we expected to read...........we are so very sorry to hear this heartbreaking news...and sorry we are so late with our condolences :o((
ReplyDeleteHugs and Beagley kisses,
The Dughallmor gang and Mum xxxx