Saturday, 11 July 2009

Where have the sheep gone?

Thank you for your warm messages on my last post. I am learning a lot from you all!

Yesterday we went to Cornwall Park which we hadn't visited for a while. One of the reasons we went there was to see the sheep there. Although New Zealand is known for its large population of sheep, we rarely see and touch them, living in the largest city in the country.

We used to go to the park very often when Cookie was young. But, the traffic along the road that we use to get to the park gradually got more and more congested, and finally we stopped going there.

Yesterday, as soon as we arrived at the park, we headed for the fields where we had always seen sheep when we frequented the park. But, there was no sheep, to my disappointment. So, we walked around looking for sheep and found only a few of them near the top of a small volcanic mountain called One Tree Hill, which is the main feature of Cornwall Park (There used to be a tree on top of the mountain, but there isn't anymore because the tree was cut down after Maori activists damaged the tree as a protest).

No sheep...

Found some sheep near the top of One Tree Hill

There is no picture of Cookie and Cinnamon at Cornwall Park, because I was so busy trying to stop them eating cows' droppings!!

It is Saturday today, which I looked forward to after a very busy week, but unfortunately it's been raining all day. So, we did some exercise on Standing in the house. This is how it went.


I hold some food in my hand when I give Cookie a command, because he is so food-motivated that he doesn't do anything if he doesn't see any food in my hand. After watching this video, I noticed that I had been giving him reward before, or almost at the same time as, clicking, which I think I need to correct.

Although Cinnamon can Stand if I put my hand in front of her nose, she still can't do it if I give her a vocal command only.

12 comments:

  1. Hello Cookie and Cinnamon!! Is it really winter there?? :)

    No matter what your mom says, you guys look great... and VERY well behaved... according to our mom. It's good to see you had a pawsome time with Honey. Wanko Kei is cute in pink. Even if it was not so accurate, all we need is to have fun.. hahaha...

    Have a great weekend!

    Momo & Pinot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I thought you guys were really good!! Cinnamon, especially, is so fast in her responses! I also still often need the hand signal from my human to get me to stand - don't worry, I think you guys are doing so well already!

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane
    ps. thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on my blog! My human is so happy to have met you too - she would really like to do more with your human - and also for us dogs to do more things together. But just recently, your human always seemed so busy so Hsin-Yi wasn't sure whether to suggest anything. Anyway, hopefully we can meet up for a playdate after the 18th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practise makes perfect! Still can't see your pics or videos....we'll come back soon!
    Slobbers xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do that sit / stand crap. I mean, can you even begin to imagine how much work it is to hoist my hiney up off the floor?

    Stupid pee-wee does. He does the mentals exercises where he does sit / stand / down/ etc. really fast. Not for me. No sir.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  5. What no sheep. That is so disappointing. We love to herd them here in Texas but school is out since it is to hot for us and the sheep. Hey sheep treats are much better than cow chips..
    Glad you and learning your tricks. We will do anything for treats too..

    Big Sloppy kisses
    Gus, Louie and Callie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all look good! My mom gives up on training us. I'd like to chase sheep. Daisy would love the cow ships.

    love & wags,
    River

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are doing so great. I love Cinnamon's fast and eager responses. And don't worry if it takes a while before they are doing it with verbal cues only. Jackal is that way too so I'm thinking its a Beagle thing. Maybe those cute little ears make it difficult for them to hear LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys do really well! Our mom gets annoyed because when we are both there working at the same time, Patrick ALWAYS tries to steal the treat whether her earned it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Cookie & Cinnamon - have you met Ricky the Sheltie yet? I've just met him too - through Ludo the Sheltie, who invented "Tricky T-Days" - we've all signed up to take part - it's a great idea for us dogs who do tricks to post regularly every week on a Tue or Thur and show what we have been learning. You should join the Trickt T-Gang too - Cinnamon is so good with tricks! Anyway, I thought you might enjoy visiting his blog because he does lots of Agility stuff and is always posting videos and things of his practices!
    Here is the latest:
    http://rickyitsadogslife.blogspot.com/2009/07/front-cross-drills.html

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep click then treat.. but my goodness, it's not as easy as it sounds.. I'm so uncoordinated with the clicker. They look great though!

    Marge can't stand with just a verbal command, either. For most commands, acutally, she tends to rely heavily on the hand signals.

    Too bad you couldn't see the sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi
    I thought Cinnamon and Cookie did a good job with the stand practicing. Jazz sounds similar to Cookie in that she will not do anything unless she knows I have a treat in my hand. We try to trick her into thinking we have something but her beagle nose knows! Sounds like they had a good time at the park - it looks lovely and green even in winter.
    J&D's mum

    ReplyDelete
  12. (from Hsin-Yi)

    Thanks for the nice comment on Honey's blog!
    It was a bit of a nightmare to tell you
    the truth - yes, the stage was TINY!! Honey could barely move and I think
    that put her off a bit, especially for backing up...plus she was a bit fazed
    by the lights and cameras and everything...she was totally distracted and
    ignoring me most of the time! We had to retake it a couple of times because
    the first time they tried it, Honey just walked right up to the camera man,
    stuck her nose into the lens and stood there staring at it!! If it wasn't so
    awful, it would be funny! Ha! Ha!

    You know, I ran through the simple routine with her last night - just
    quickly made it up to go with that music - and she was great in our living
    room...but completely dopey and 'out of it' in the studios!!

    Anyway, am glad that's over - don't think we're doing to agree to be on TV
    again in a hurry - not unless they promise to give us a lot more room!! :-)

    Hsin-Yi

    ReplyDelete