Monday, 19 April 2010

Humane Society's Pets Picnic in the Park

Hi! It's Cinnamon.

Yesterday I went to the Humane Society of New Zealand's Pets Picnic in the Park at Cornwall Park and did my FIRST dance demonstration in front of an audience!!



Yesterday's event was to promote the activities of the Humane Society which is working to 'improve the situation of needy animals'. Three dogs and their humans from our dancing team ChoreDOGraphy Connection performed before various dog competitions started.

Because it was my first public display, I went first, Apollos second, and then veteran Skye performed last. After Mum and I were introduced to the ring and I did some sniffing to make sure everything was all right, Mum gave the event staff a cue to start the music. But, nothing began and after a while Skye's human came to us to let us know there was a technical trouble. Being unable to begin our routine, we were doing some tricks without music in the ring, and then all of sudden the music started!






Well, actually I was unable to keep my attention on Mum during my routine, as there were so many yummy smelling acorns on the ground. I just couldn't resist and I kept picking up and eating them! Although Mum looked sad after the routine finished, Dad looked very happy because I had done the first and last parts of the routine anyway. While Mum had wanted me to perform as well as I usually do, Dad hadn't expected much of me.

Our Team


Souvenir I got from the event



After our performance, I met my blog friend Lexi the Great Dane! At first I couldn't recognise her, as she had grown so much since I met her for the first time at Honey the Great Dane's birthday party last November. At that time she was only a little bigger than me. But, look at this! She was huge yesterday!!



Unfortunately I couldn't play with Lexi much yesterday, as we had to quickly go home where Mint was waiting. I hope to catch up with her again soon!

7 comments:

  1. I thought your Routine was very good!! You perfromed very well, especially for your first time dancing in a very stimulating enviroment :)

    Me and my human were very impressed with your tricks...we saw you practicing them before your performace :)

    We look forward to seeing you do another one :)

    Lick,
    Lexi teh Great Dane

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello cinnamon its dennis the vizsla dog hay gud job!!! it shoor is hard to consentrayt wen their is yummy food all over the grownd but it sownds like yoo did verry well!!! and yoo got loot too so it wuz a gud day!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, good job for the first time out. Things won't go perfect - do you remember Marge's agility debut in November where she got zoomies and left the ring? Ahh! Doing parts of the sequence with only some sniffing is a big accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Cinnamon! I think you did really well for your first time! You should see MY first time - at least you did the beginning and end...I didn't do anything! hee! hee!

    I think doggie dancing is actually very hard because unlike a lot of other dog sports, we don't get to always perform in a fixed, special ring that has been especially prepared for us...I mean, imagine if Agility rings or Obedience rings had food scattered around in them! They would never allow it! But we are expected to go to all sorts of places - outdoors, indoors, food around us, strange things to sniff, slippery floors, etc...and STILL focus on our humans and perform our routines...they would never expect that in other dog sports! :-) So I think you should be very proud of yourself - and we are proud of your human for training you so well. I mean - can you imagine, you only started dancing classes back in Oct last year! And here you are doing your 1st public performance already! Well done!!

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cinnamon we think you did a great job. I bet everyone loved it, especially your final move is so cute. And with all those acorns on the ground I wouldn't be able to concentrate either, sometimes Mum goes round trying to pick up anything I might sniff at but I can always find something she hasn't seen. You did way better than me on the weekend. I spat the dumbell out at Mum and then ran out of the ring at our competition. Big licks - Bodie & Goo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I sure can speak! It was easy. Mom taught it to me when I was a puppy using the clicker. After she started reinforcing it I started offering it all the time, but then she stopped reinforcing it unless she asked for it. I quickly learned to only bark when she asked me to speak. :)

    Jackal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job - we definitely need more dancing beagles in the world! I'm not sure we've ever had to dance over acorns - but it sounds like fun. So what music did you use? I'm sure this was just the first of many!

    ReplyDelete